Sunday, January 4, 2009

Icarus Had The Right Idea

This is The Fool


I managed to tear myself away from reading an online comic strip based on scenes from Phantom Menace and starring a bunch of RPG-ers. Which is hilarious. Read it here

http://www.darthsanddroids.net/

So I can now concentrate on my FYP. I haven't actually finished any one component of it yet. It's due in 3 months. Or less. Aha ha. Isn't that funny? Not as funny as the fact that my little bunnyegg is about depression. My aim is to create a Depression Kit, and save all those people from endless lifetimes of self hate and anhedonia (to see anhedonia in context to House, click Anhedonia In Context To House), to promote awareness of this occasionally fatal disease, and to make it look good.

The important part being To Make It Look Good, because let's face it, I'm an arts student, not a Psych major. They're not going to grade me on how many lives I'll theoretically save as how many people will buy the thing because it's pretty.


Anyways, I then had to start thinking about a concept for the whole thing. Concepts are fun. I like concepts because I like rules. A concept ensures that you have to have some kind of basic guideline you must adhere to. Even Picasso had a basic guideline which was : To Create Mindblowing Crap Paintings.

So my concept is Tarot Cards. After choosing a suitably esotoric concept that I myself know nothing about, I then stick on a theme of wings.
Originally, my theme was angels, because I thought it would be spiritual and uplifting. And come on, drawing angels are just Cool. It's like drawing superheroes but without the lycra costumes. Angels get to walk around naked because they don't actually have a solid form.

But obviously I wouldn't be drawing naked angels for a University Project.
Where do you think I study, Berkeley?

And then Mum asked, Why angels?
Because they're Cool.
Why do you have to make life harder for yourself?
Because I can. (Hey. I know everyone says this at least once in a conversation with a parental unit).
Okay. But wouldn't angels be dangerous?
What? Angels, dangerous? Beware of Goldfish. Run from the Omelette.
You know, sweetie, angels are associated with heaven. And being dead. So if you're depressed and feeling...suicidal...maybe seeing an angel is not such a good idea.
Hmmm.
Especially the way you draw them.
Hmmm.

Well. When I thought about depressed people, I just figured they were mentally unstable. Not bloody morons.
Who sees a picture of an angel on a Depression Kit that you chose to purchase in the first place and then throws themselves in front of a car/ out of the 29th storey window/ swallow a bottle of panadol/ (or if you're really masochistic) slit your wrists and sit in the bathtub. With a toaster. Just in case.

Depressed people, apparently.

I'm sorry, but I understand what it's like to be so down you don't want to be alive and all that. But I assure you, my artwork isn't going to make your existence any much harder to bear.
But I love my mother, so I changed it to wings.

Also, it is such a bitch to draw full body wings for every character. I had to study duck wings. Duck! Now I'm hungry. Like wth. I have better stuff to do.

Like reading an online comic strip based on scenes from The Lord of the Rings and starring a bunch of RPG-ers.
Read it here

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612

:)

No comments: