Monday, November 3, 2008

My Thoughts Are Filled With Wine, But They Only Had Beer In The Fridge

Yesterday, while translating my erstwhile notes, I discovered this word:

Phut.

It means menghentam dengan bunyi; (colloq) sia-sia.
Serious.

If you do not believe me, check Kamus Dwibahasa Oxford Fajar (Edisi Ketiga, Dikemaskinikan).

*

Wouldn't it be nice if you suddenly decide to call or message someone, and they replied

What a coincidence! I was just writing a poem about you.


(I mean a nice poem. Not a bitter one)

Wouldn't that make your day?
I think it would make my eternity.
So long as it was a well written poem.
Duh.

Just a thought.

*

I was reading about Hamlet the other day.

Before I am accused of Shakespearean aspirations, it was by accident.

I was listening to this song by A Fine Frenzy called Almost Lover, and she had gotten her name from a verse in Midsummer Night's Dream, which I went to check out and you know how wikipedia has all those related links at the bottom? yeah, so I was reminded of Hamlet because of Ophelia because I had watched an episode of Ergo Proxy where Mayer was in an identical pose as the Ophelia in Millais' painting.

So.

That was how I ended up reading about Hamlet.
Not reading IT.
Just about it.

Anyway Hamlet drives his Ophelia to insanity.

Isn't that nice?

Men.

Typical.

*

Hamlet to Ophelia

I will burn every house down until I find you in its ashes
The flames of love, the flames of longing
Streaking through a night sky that falls and crashes
The sun, the meteors, the stars, all falling
And falling
Helpless.

I will spare nothing in this search for you
Mother father brother lover will I betray
An act of love I lay down at your feet
You are not the only one who must fear me.

I will grasp at the failing light that shines at the edge of time
At the end of this perfect world
Where I will kiss good night the freakish rhyme
In which your nightmares ebb and swirl.

Do you crave for me now; do you blame me?
I have only wanted your sorrow
And when your last tears are mine
that’s when I will end.

*

I have just finished the most horrible exam.

Yes.

All exams are horrible.

But this is The Most Horrible.

Why?

Because it is.

*


Haiku

of

The Bell Curve



Such a sweet lady
Upon whom all our fates hang
The mean is master
And errant chimes are obliterated


If you do not know what a bell curve is, I know you didn't go to public school.

*

No comments: