Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hey, Tell Me Something I Don't Already Know

This is what a winner looks like


I have been inspired by Barack Obama and his groundbreaking, nationmoving, mythbusting win.

I also want to write a speech.

Here is my speech.

This is not a funny speech. This speech is from me, to you, to everyone.
To the people who think that planning the first move and plotting against other people is a joy in life and a reason for existence.
To the people who think that bringing down someone else, no matter what the cost, is worth it.
To people who can’t see past their own weaknesses and their own insecurities, and punish others for them instead.
To people who walk around with a chip on your shoulders and blame everything bad that ever happened to you on everyone else.
To people who believe that a post means everything and that people are nothing.
In the end, you lose.
There will be no end to the planning and plotting, there will be no rest, because you don’t give yourself rest. There will be no happiness because you refuse to share anything with anyone, except your pride. There will be no one to welcome your glory, because your own arrogance has pushed the people who once loved and respected you away.
What you are should never stop you from being what you will be. And you don’t have the right to stop anyone from being what they can be, even as you place those limitations on yourself.
If you are weak and unable to do it, do not think no one else is strong enough. If you don’t know and can’t figure it out, do not think that no one else is smart enough.
I’m sorry that in the end, you have no friends. That you have to lie and manipulate to keep the ones you have. That even the past makes you unhappy, when it would be so easy to let go. I am sorry for you because you are no longer living for the now, but you are living for the what-has-already happened.
I am sorry that you are unable to love and respect and listen, that you cannot see people as people but only as things and pawns and steps in your funny little games.
I am sorry that your life is no life at all, but a game that you are constantly trying to win.
People. Chill.
In the end, when other people are laughing and loving and living around you, will you watch silently, will you paste on a fake smile and try to join in, try to convince them that you, too are happy?
I know you aren’t.
How can you be.
You have your games.
I have people who love and care about me. I have people that I love and care about.
And nothing you say or do can change that fact.
And now, I realize that there is no need anymore to try and stay one step ahead of people like you. Because my floor is not the floor of lies and manipulations. My floor has and always will be, honesty. And that is what I will stick to.
You’ve lost.

Just like McCain.

No comments: