Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Bali

I went to Bali in May, together with Seth. It was amazing. The food was great, the people were nice, and I got proposed to.

I took a lot of pictures driving from the airport to Ubud, because I am such a jakun. But I enjoyed being a tourist. Sort of. (Are you still considered a tourist-tourist if it's just next door? I like to think so).

When we got to our rooms, we were positively in awe. You're so used to rooms just being rooms in a building that when you get the lower floor of a small villa (which is a room, as it were) it's so nice. Plus we overlooked a small plot of sawah padi. So rustic.

By the way, this is probably the only place on earth I didn't live in constant fear of getting mugged. After our tour guide showed up (he turned out to be a replacement tour guide and I was convinced he was an impostor who was going to drive us to a secluded place, rob us of our belongings and throw our remains into some jungle river) and he did none of the things I mentioned, and was also very polite, I figured it was going to be pretty okay. And it was!

The food there was delicious, or maybe it was the Holiday Stomach thing. But the pork ribs at Nury's Naughty were ridiculously delicious. When I came back I was sad for awhile because I couldn't seem to eat the same amount as I did in Bali, and with similar relish. This means the only way I can put on weight is through regular travelling ahahaha.

We went to so many temples, now that I look at the photos the only I recognise is Tanah Lot. And Besakih, because I look like I'm trying not to kick the guide who is taking our pictures in the balls. That would be because Besakih is a rip off. I'm still upset we had to pay rm 150 for a 'blessing'. My Sunday collections at church don't even amount to that much annually! Will my god engage his god in a smackdown? We shall see.

The markets were just as I had hoped they would be - lots of paintings! Admittedly Seth and I need to brush up on our haggling skills.

Seth: It's okay, they need to feed their children.

HAH.

And on the last day, we had cold stone creamery ice cream. It was the most delicious ice cream I had ever tasted in my life. Truth. Peanut butter and Oreo and milky yummy ice cream (i forgot what flavour. Probably butterscotch or something. The peanut butter shines clearly in my mind though).

Ah happy days !


Part of the amazing view from our villa-room.

We ended up eating Italianish food on our first night. Food there rocks!

One of the temples around Tanah Lot.

Civet cat. Want! Look at his cute smiley eyes!

Not-kicking-guide-in-nuts face

<3!

No comments: