Thursday, April 28, 2011

Potato Nommies

Ever since my mother and brother moved in, I have found one benefit. I'm learning how to cook. You know how people like to say, 'Oh it must be nice to have home-cooked food now that your mum's staying with you!'?

NUH-UH.

My response (in my mind la, coz I don't want to embarrass my mum): 'Yes it is nice that I have to teach myself to cook so as to have edible, unburnt food to eat.'

Okay, my mum's food isn't that bad. Just don't compare it to your mum's food. But this situation is rather frustrating because a. the allowance previously used for eating out and frolicking has now gone to household groceries, so I don't actually have a choice to eat out all the time and b. I'm not that great a cook.

When I say not that great, I mean I sometimes forget to put salt in the dishes.
But I have discovered that the food I cook best are the ones that come with recipes. The best meal so far I've had was the Potato Gnocchi (thanks to the Amazing Potatoes). Gnocchi is the easiest thing in the world.

1. Boil however many potatoes you want to turn into gnocchi. Make sure it's the yummy, sweet baking potatoes and not the local midget potatoes that are only acceptable drowned in kari ikan pari.

2. Prepare some flour, egg yolk (one is usually enough unless there's more than, er, 8 people?), salt and pepper.

3. Mash the potatoes.

4. Mix in flour, egg and salt and pepper. About the flour, just mix in however much until the mixture just holds together. It's not cengkodok so you don't have to drown it in flour.

5. Roll it into a long thin sausage and cut about 1.5 inch (I took out a ruler to measure. Actually any size also can, as long as they're uniform so they can cook together) pillows of gnocchi.

6. Boil water. Throw in little gnocchis. Wait for them to rise to the surface and then scoop them out.

TA DA GNOCCHI.

Boiled gnocchi with any sauce is okay, but fried gnocchi is better.

7. Fry chopped up prawns. Fry gnocchi. Serve together.

See. So easy. They can be refridgerated (refrigerated? referigerated? ?????), but don't keep it for more than two days.

Trust me.

No comments: